Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Cardinal Sarah on the LGBT Controversy

There seems to be a huge debate raging on the Catholic internet about Fr. James Martin, SJ. I have stayed away from it since I already have enough debates going on about other things. And I just assumed that I had already made it clear where I stood. Nevertheless, I have been "unfriended" on Facebook by people on both "sides" of the debate, which is odd but not unusual. On the topic of ministering to Catholics with a same-sex orientation, I totally agree with Cardinal Sarah. From the Catholic News Agency:
Cardinal Sarah stressed the importance of both truth and love.

“To love someone as Christ loves us means to love that person in the truth,” he said. “Those who speak on behalf of the Church must be faithful to the unchanging teachings of Christ because only by living in harmony with God’s creative design do we find deep and lasting fulfillment.”

Cardinal Sarah summarized Catholic teaching on same-sex attraction: the person is good because he or she is a child of God. Homosexual attractions are not sinful if not willed or acted upon, even though they are not in harmony with human nature. However, homosexual actions are “gravely sinful and tremendously harmful to the well-being of those who partake in them.”

“People who identify as members of the LGBT community are owed this truth in charity, especially from clergy who speak on behalf of the Church about this complex and difficult topic,” the cardinal continued. The cardinal recommended the book by American author Daniel Mattson titled “Why I Don’t Call Myself Gay,” for which he wrote the foreword.

“It is my prayer that the world will finally heed the voices of Christians who experience same-sex attractions and who have discovered peace and joy by living the truth of the Gospel,” Cardinal Sarah said. “I have been blessed by my encounters with them, and their witness moves me deeply.” (Read more.)
Share

No comments: